Since I skipped my usual Ten Things Tuesday this week in favor of blogging about our snowstorm, I thought I’d make up for it by doing a Thursday Thirteen.
Tense Teacher loves to do music memes. Most often, she’s put up to them by Squid Vicious, and the latest one was to list 100 songs that one can sing purely from memory.
I may have mentioned before that I have an easy, uncanny, and, some would say, annoying ability to memorize song lyrics. Listing 100 songs that I could sing from memory would be a slice ‘o pie – but I would bet that no one would read the whole thing (and really? Why would you?!). SO, how’s listing 13 instead?
1. Billy Joel’s “Movin’ Out” (you should never argue with a crazy ma-ma-ma-ma-mama!)
2. Blood Sweat and Tears’ “When I Die” (bundle up my coffin ’cause it’s cold way down there!)
3. Robert Palmer’s “Sneakin Sally Through the Alley” (tryin’ talk double-talk, get myself in trouble talk, catchin’ myself in lies)
4. “32 Flavors” – originally done by Ani DiFranco, but I prefer Alana Davis’s remake (God help you if you are an ugly girl; ‘course, too pretty is also your doom)
5. Sting’s* “Soul Cages” (I have a wager, the brave child spoke)
6. The Indigo Girls’* “Cold Beer and Remote Control” (I try not to care, I would lose my mind)
7. Don Henley’s “I Will Not Go Quietly” (turn this thing around, I will not go quietly, I will not lie down)
8. Dire Strait’s “Money for Nothing” (look at them yo-yos!)
9. Schoolhouse Rock’s “Rockin’ and a-Rollin’” (he even has the nerve to tax our cup of tea / to put it kindly, King, we really don’t agree)
10. Tracey Chapman’s “Born to Fight” (oh no, oh no, this one’s not for sale)
11. Patty Griffin’s “Cold as it Gets” (I live only to see you live to regret everything that you’ve done)
12. Dave Matthew’s “Raven” (one hand is bleeding and the other hand holds a gun)
13. U2′s “She Moves in Mysterious Ways” (If you want to kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel)
There are about a zillion more that I could sing from memory, but these were just the first 13 to pop into my head. I’m not saying I know EVERY song ever written (though my husband accuses me of such knowledge), but I am saying that I’ve got a lot of brain cells tied up in song lyrics. Maybe that’s why I can’t remember what day it is….
*I can pretty much sing the entire libraries of Sting, The Indigo Girls, Matchbox Twenty, Stevie Wonder, Jonatha Brooke and Shawn Colvin. I’m pathetic.