Dudley doesn’t have a blog of his own, so I offered to post his answers to The Manly Meme here if he wanted to play along. He did, so I will. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you my friend, Dudley:
1. Boxers? Briefs? Boxer briefs? Thongs? Commando?
2. What’s your fussiest personal care routine?
3. Do you have a favorite tool? Power or manual?
All of them. The chain saw can be lots of fun!
4. Can you change your own oil? Do you?
Can. Won’t (too messy)
5. What’s the “manliest” thing you do on a regular basis?
I’m there for my family every day.
6. What’s something “manly” that you never learned how to do?
Start fight to “prove” that I’m man. Maybe I actually learned NOT to do
7. Do you ever cry? If so, what’s your trigger?
Sure. I don’t usually weep openly, but I have shed more than my share of
tears. The trigger can be anything.
8. Do you have a chivalrous streak? How does it manifest itself?
I like to think so, but don’t we all? I think chivalry, in today’s world,
means respect for women.
9. Do you have a chauvinistic streak? How does it manifest itself?
I try not to. I probably fail in ways that I don’t realize.
10. What’s your favorite movie?
I can only name one? That’s not fair. (editor’s note: Mr. Chili remembers fondly the time that he and Dudley blew off some skiing (or was it dinner?) because they got sucked into the sounds of the beginning of The Hunt for Red October. Those little electronic noises of the opening exposition, to this day, cause them to cease all other activity in favor of taking in a favorite flick…)
11. What’s the dumbest, testosterone-inspired thing you’ve ever done?
Jumped over friends and was in turn jumped over by friends while riding
bicycles over ramps. We were too young for motorcycles (thank God). I
think the record was 5 kids. Fortunately I never got landed on.
12. What quality do you think makes a good man good? Do you have that
Integrity. I certainly like to think I have it. (ed.’s note; I think you do)
13. Toilet seat up or down?
Matters not. I look first.
14. If your wife/partner/significant other is away, do you cook for
yourself or eat out of cans and boxes (or rely on local drive-throughs and
I like to cook far too much to resort to that. If I’m away, she’s the one
who has hard time fending for herself (she LOVES my cooking).
15. What societal expectation of being a man do you most resent?
Being the tough guy.
16. What’s the best part – societal-wise – about being a man?
17. Will you stop to ask for directions?
If starvation is on the line, well, of course.
18. What’s the one thing you wish your wife/partner/significant other
understood about how you think or behave?
That it’s “guy trait” to want to fix things. If she’s venting and just
wants a sympathetic ear, I usually miss that, and try to help solve the
problem. I try to remember that she usually just wants the sympathetic
ear, but it’s not always easy to remember to do that. Unfortunately the
“fix it” mentality sometimes makes things worse.
19. What’s one thing about your wife/partner/significant other that you
just cannot understand, no matter how hard you try?
The need to chat on the cell phone the entire drive home. Can’t it wait
until you get home and we can talk face to face?
20. What do you need to have in the shower?
Water. Preferably hot.
21. Do you burp/fart/scratch in public? Do you do anything stereotypically
Not in public. Stereotypically male???? Hmmmm. I will always pick an
action flick over a chick flick. Does that count? (ed.’s note – yup, that counts!)
22. How big a part does porn play in your life? Your thoughts?
It can be fun if you’re in the right mood, but I can’t say it plays a
23. What scares you?
Failing those that I love.
24. What’s your best feature (physical or otherwise)?
Loyalty (and I’m told I have nice eyes) (editor’s note – he has LOVELY eyes and a glorious smile. Go here if you don’t believe me)
25. What would you do for love?
What wouldn’t I do for someone I love?