The holiday threw me, and I almost forgot it was Tuesday! I’m totally boosting my sister‘s theme today – ten things I love about summer:
1. The ice cream shacks open up. Really? Doesn’t this kinda go without saying?
Oh, and there’s Ben and Jerry’s in my freezer again. Mmmmmmm!
2. Sleeping with the windows open. I love the sound of wind through the trees, I love the sound of peepers peeping and crickets chirping, and I love the way the air smells at night. Oh, and thunderstorms! I LOVE a good thunderstorm.
3. Cooking outdoors. Now, it’s true that Mr. Chili has dug paths through the snow to get to the grill, but somehow the food cooked outdoors tastes better in the summer. Our favorites are lemon-garlic soaked chicken, hamburgers, and good steaks. Mmmmm!
4. Green things. We don’t have a garden, per se, but a bunch of stuff grows in our yard all by itself. I’ve got lilacs out there and, of course, The Tree. We’ve also got hostas and some lilies and irises coming up, too. In another week or so, I’m going to put my houseplants out for summer vacation – they LOVE that, and I love how much they grow over the warm months. Often, the growing they do in the summer is enough to hold them through the dark cold New England winters. Plus, all the trees outside our windows leaf up and we can’t see our neighbors for six months. I love that.
5. Driving with the windows down. Despite the fact that my hair goes EVERYWHERE (I’m thinking about leaving a hat in the car), I love driving with the windows open. Even better if I’ve got some music going at teenager-volume.
6. Summer clothes. I love light linen and cotton, I love short pants and tank tops, and I love sundresses and skorts. My summer clothes are cute, and I’m always excited to take them out of storage at the end of May. (Of course, I’ll be excited to rediscover all my trousers and woobie sweaters come October, too, but that’s another post). I love summer pajamas, too.
7. School vacation. Even though I’ve been working during the summers for the last few years, I still love having the girls home from school. We have nice, leisurely mornings (most of the time) and the entire pace of our lives feels less stressed and hurried. This summer, I’m only teaching one course, one day a week, and the class is scheduled at night, so I’ll be able to be home with the girls full-time. They’ll likely want to go to day camp for a couple of days a week, but I’m looking forward to bicycle rides, walks, and lunches with Daddy this summer.
8. Summer food. Salads, watermelon, peaches, strawberries and blueberries. Mmmmmm. My diet improves dramatically over the warmer months, and I look forward to the produce departments getting more colorful as the summer approaches.
9. Long days. I may bitch about the fact that it gets dark around here at quarter to four in the afternoon during the depths of winter, but I LOVE that it’s light out until damned near 9:30 at the height of summer. I love being able to read in bed without having to turn on the lights, and I really like that the light – and not the alarm clock – wakes me in the morning.
10. Hanging with friends. O’Mama and I spend time together window shopping or lunching outdoors. The Chili family went in for half of the inflatable pool that Bowyer set up in his yard, and I love spending afternoons on his porch watching all our kids splash around (and then kicking the kids out, getting noodles and wine coolers, and floating around in there ourselves). Lazy time spent with good friends. THAT’S what I love about summer.
Happy Tuesday, Everyone!