I was going to give you another movie post (what am I up to now? 40? I’ll have to check my archives), but there’s a lot happening in Mrs. Chili’s life right now, so you get a big old helping of randomness. Gird your loins!
* The Chili family is headed back down the Cape this coming weekend! Gerry and Honey have (incredibly graciously) opened their home to us, so we’re packing everyone up and heading south on Thursday after school lets out (the girls go to school this week on Wednesday and Thursday, then have the long weekend off from Friday to Monday. No one knows why). I CANNOT WAIT to get back there, both to spend more time with my friends and to be back in that beautiful environment. This time, I’m getting LOTS of pictures!
* Later today, Mr. Chili and I will be the proud owners of a pair of scooters!
This one’s his (though he can’t decide on red or black; I say red, but he’s not sure):
and this one’s mine (it’ll be silver):
The dealership was having a “buy one, get one half off” sale, and it was just too good to pass up. Besides, I had a reintroduction to the adventures of parking at Local U. yesterday, and I’m eager to get something I can chain to the bike rack in front of my building. Even before the university even opens, the parking is a nightmare. I’m going to take the motorcycle safety course (that’s held, coincidentally, in the parking lot of TCC), even though the scooter isn’t powerful enough to require that I have a motorcycle permit on my license. I want the experience, though, before I take the thing on the road.
* I’m going to have an office at L.U. and, if I’m not mistaken, I’ll not have to share it with anyone! How freaking cool is that?! It may well be a supply closet (I’m having images of Ainsley Hayes in the West Wing with her steam junction office), but I couldn’t care less – I HAVE AN OFFICE!! I’m hoping to get the key for it tomorrow, at which point I’m going to start packing the place with books.
* Speaking of books, if you’re a book geek (and you know who you are) now is a GREAT time to troll the hallways of university buildings. In our building, for example, there are tables and boxes and piles of books that are being given away – FOR FREE, Baby! I’m not sure where they came from, but I don’t care – I’m not looking this gift horse in the mouth. I came away with an armload of reference books yesterday morning (and I WOULD have taken more if I could have gotten into my office!). I’m in hog heaven.
* Today is a day devoted to household chores. The Boywer boys are coming to Chez Chili this morning (Bowyer’s back to school and Tonks is at work, so the boys are coming to Auntie Chili’s today) and I’m going to use the time that they’re entertaining each other to do laundry, vacuum, and try to get things in general order. I’m pretty ambitious this morning; I expect to get a lot done.
* I showed my lit. kids The Sixth Sense last night. GOD/DESS, but I love that movie! My only regret is that I can’t see it again for the first time. OH! I almost forgot! While I was at TCC yesterday (surreptitiously liberating some books from the library), Joe found me and offered me another gig for next semester! I’ll be teaching this exact class again – lit on Monday nights from 8:15 to 10:20. I’m looking forward to being able to stay at TCC for another semester.
* This has been the summer of chocolate peanut butter ice cream; I just can’t get enough of the stuff. I’ve never been a big fan of choco-p.b. ice cream; I mean, I loves me some Reese’s, but my tastes in ice cream have never leaned in that direction. Mr. Chili’s been groovin’ the p.b. fudge ice cream for years, but it never really did much for me until this season. I’ve been plowing through half gallons of every variety I can find. We’ve tried a couple of Hood varieties and Edy’s – not to mention the positively yummy scoops that Don bought for me last weekend. Mr. Chili tells me that I have a tendency to wear out my cravings, and this is no exception. Mmmmmm!
* I am LOVING John Adams by David McCullough. I’ve never read any of his work before, and if this is any indication of his ability, I’m going to head right into 1776 as soon as I’m at the back cover of Adams. I pre-ordered the DVDs of the HBO miniseries as soon as I heard a feature story about it on NPR (we don’t get HBO, so I had to wait for the DVD release), and we loved every freaking second of it (in fact, I’m looking forward to watching it again with O’Mama). Seriously – fantastic stuff. I just finished a section that included this quote, which I’m going to print out and frame somewhere, I think:
You will ever remember that all the end of study is to make you a good man and a useful citizen.”
Yeah; that’s the point, all right.
* Today marks a week since the last of my dental work was done, and I still don’t feel right. I was amazed that the work that was done last week kicked my ass more than getting the wisdom teeth out. I’ve got to talk to my dentist to find out why that is; I was too stoned to remember any of it.
* Here’s another picture I took while at the Cape with Gerry. I messed with it a bit, but I don’t know if I made it any better…
Happy Tuesday, Everyone!