I know the question is coming. In an effort to actually have an answer, here are ten things that will be on my Christmas list this year:
1. A membership (or two) to audible.com. I’m thinking that having audio books of the novels I read with my students (so that I can share them with those students who may not be terrifically agile readers) would be a really good thing.
Seriously. My local liquor store doesn’t carry this, so I have to special order it (which is a pain). I’d welcome as many bottles of this as Santa wants to bring me; it’s YUMMY in Diet Coke.
3. A new Mac. I have a gorgeous MacBook Pro at home; I’d like to have one at work, too. I do a huge amount of work on my computer at school, and I want to know for sure that the computer on which I’m working isn’t going to die anytime soon.
4. I’m kicking around the idea of asking for an iPad. This may work for the work computer, come to think of it, but I’m not sure how well I’d take to typing papers on a touch-pad keyboard… *Edited to include* Never mind. I played around a little with Mr. Chili’s iPad this weekend and discovered that there’s no way I could type on it without making myself insane. I learned to type with a touch method; I rest my fingers on “home” keys between letters, and that doesn’t work with a touch pad. Sigh… I could still use the thing as a neat-o toy, though.
5. If I do get an iPad, I’d like to get some way of downloading e-books. For as much as I’m in love with paper books, I think that having e-copies, at least of the works I teach, might be a smart idea (especially if the e-reader in question lets me annotate!).
6. This would make a rotten Christmas present, but I’m thinking ahead to spring when I’m going to be itching to get out on to the new back deck, and I’m going to want a nice, weather-resistant wooden dining table and chairs. I found a lovely set at IKEA last year; if they still have them this coming spring, I may go and score one.
7. Along these lines, I also would love to have some things to “furnish” the yard; specifically a bunch of plants (hydrangea and hostas, mostly, but some other things, too), a fire pit (for little fires and, you know, roasted marshmallows!), an umbrella stand (I already have the umbrella) and a stone Buddha.
8. I’d like a number of DVDs. I’m looking, specifically, for the Eyes on the Prize and Ken Burns’ Civil War series. I also want a couple of feature films, namely Only the Lonely, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, and Truly, Madly, Deeply. I also have a couple of films on pre-order; the one I’m looking forward to most is Patrick Stewart’s Macbeth.
9. Pens and sticky notes. I’ll probably be asking my students for these things (because they’re the reason I always need them), but these particular pens and sticky notes are my must-haves for annotating paper books, so I try to always have them handy.
10. I’m going to ask my husband to tell his parents that I want a college class. I’m seriously considering pursuing (albeit slowly) another degree. I’ve been perusing the Local U. Communications Department catalog, and I’m thinking that I might try to take a classical rhetoric course next semester. A helping hand with the course fees (or the books) would be awesome.
What’s on YOUR list?