Today is my gal Kizz’s birthday. Go on over and wish her happy.
There are a number of reasons why Kizz is a light in my world, but here are some of the things that most stand out:
* She is a fantastic listener. She sometimes jokes that she can solve everyone’s problems but her own. I’m not sure that’s true, but I do know for sure that she’s someone I can go to when I’m trying to work something tough out. She’s good at asking the kinds of questions that let me shift my thinking and help me figure my stuff out.
* She’s got the funny. She’s able to see the humorous in a lot of situations, and she’s able to convey that in a bunch of different ways.
* She can write. I mean it; Kizz’s style is by turns hysterical, biting, and dead-nuts on, and I have used several of her blog entries as examples of strong, solid writing. That, and the fact that she can make me laugh out loud during our instant message conversations.
* She has an eye for beauty. I have a photograph she took of a finial in the snow that is simple and sublime and profound. She is the undisputed queen of the Hot People Posts. She understands that there’s often a lot more going on – in conversations, in people’s faces, in the everyday minutia of our lives – than most people see. She sees it, and she’s able to express it in exciting and thought-provoking ways.
* She is complex. There is a lot going on in there, and while I can’t begin to understand it all, I have a great deal of admiration and respect for the fact that Kizz is as self-aware and thoughtful as she is.
The long and short of it is that she is my friend, and I’m grateful that she’s sharing herself with me. Happy Birthday, Capital-G Girlfriend. I love you!