Ten reasons I’m not a Republican:
1. I don’t think poor people are the enemy. I believe that it benefits us all to help the weakest and poorest among us.
2. I think that some regulation of business, industry, and finance is a GOOD thing. I don’t think that, if left to their own devices, business, industry, and finance would behave in any way that’s good or ethical (and past experience seems to bear that out).
3. I don’t think that the government has ANY business telling me (or my friends or my children or ANY woman) that she has to bear an unwanted child. I’m also not wild about the government having any say in whether or not I (or anyone else) has access to contraception.
4. I think that clean air and clean water (for everyone on the planet) are more important than corporate bottom lines.
5. I believe that health care is a right, not a privilege granted to only those who can afford it.
6. I believe that equal rights means equal rights for EVERYONE, not just straight, white Christian men.
7. I don’t think that money is protected speech, and I don’t think corporations are people.
8. I don’t think that the military should be used to bully other countries.
9. I believe scientists when they tell me that the Earth’s climate is changing, and that human activity, while not the cause of that change, certainly isn’t helping.
10. I think that education is important, and that we should be doing more – not less – as a society to support and promote education for all our citizens.