In no particular order:
1. Ice cream cones from the shack.
2. Riding in the car with the windows down, the sunroof open, and the radio turned up.
3. Random, unexpected love note texts.
4. Friendly nurses. I went in for my first mammogram this afternoon, and the technician was perfectly lovely.
5. Generous friends. CV Rick sent me a present a few weeks ago, and several people have gone out of their way to write me stunning (and humbling) recommendation letters. I have often said that I measure my self-esteem against the kinds of people who care about me. Given recent evidence, I must be doing okay.
6. Library software. I love knowing what books and movies I have, and whether or not I’ve loaned them to anyone.
7. Online banking. I haven’t mailed a check in 5 years.
8. Hibiscus plants. I bought myself one this spring, and it has done nothing but throw out huge, joyous, exuberant flowers all summer long. I’m going to re-pot her and take tender care of her this winter in the hopes that she’ll do it again for me next summer.
9. Instant message. I love being able to chat with far away friends (and to harass Mr. Chili at his desk).
10. My back deck. I’ve spent most of my summer back there reading, visiting with friends, watching the girls play in the pool, or just sitting and breathing. It’s a good space.
What little things make YOU happy lately?