I have this curse.
I fall in love with something – usually a health and beauty aid product, but other things, too – and invariably, it becomes unavailable. Either my stores stop carrying it or it’s discontinued by the manufacturer. Either way, it blows.
1. I used to LOVE Zantonio’s bruchetta. Light and fresh and astonishingly yummy, I’d use it as a topping for mushroom ravioli. My local market stopped carrying it, but the bigger market up town still had it for a while… then THEY stopped carrying it. I ended up calling the company that makes the stuff and the owner assured me that they ARE still in business (I got to talk to the actual owner!), but that none of the markets in my area are carrying it anymore. Pisses me off.
2. Almay used to make something they called Stay Smooth Anti-Chap Lip Color. I liked the “glow” shade. It was sort of a cross between lipstick and lip balm, and that particular shade was PERFECT for me. I’ve tried everywhere I can think to try to buy it as a discontinued item, but I can’t find it anywhere. I’m down to the last half inch on both of the tubes I bought when I discovered it.
3. Bath and Body Works pisses me off. They rotate through their scents faster than is reasonable, and they discontinued my favorite perfume, Crystal Blue Waters, a few years ago. Fortunately, I was tipped off that it was on the chopping block and I stocked up, but I’m starting to run out. Bastids.
4. There was a make-up company called Apt. 5 that made shades that were perfect for my hard-to-flatter skin and hair tones. I was especially fond of their bronzer and lip gloss. As with Bath and Body Works, I was tipped off that they were shutting down and I stocked up.
5. My market has stopped carrying our favorite frozen pizzas. They’re still available in the bigger stores up town, but still…
6. I’m sure this is the nostalgia talking, but Lipton used to make a mug-o-lunch (or something like that) that I loved. You’d empty a packet into a cup and pour boiling water over and voilla! Lunch. My favorite flavor was the tomato noodle.
7. I used to be able to get Kraft macaroni and cheese cheese in a shaky bottle, much like parmesan cheese comes. I can’t find that anymore, and I wish that I could.
8. Land’s End stopped making my favorite sandals. I think this is my last year with the last pair I bought before I couldn’t order them anymore.
9. While I can technically still get these, the Jiffy mixes of devil’s food cake and fudge frosting aren’t being carried anywhere within 100 miles of my home. My husband has a way of mixing these two to get a pudding cake sort of thing that’s just yummy, but one literally can’t obtain these mixes in our entire region. I figured out a few years ago, however, that I can call Jiffy in Michigan and they’ll send me cases of the stuff, so I’m not sure this counts.
10. I’m not sure this counts, either, but none of my local supermarkets is carrying Willow Tree chicken salad anymore. That’s fine, though; the stuff was wicked expensive, and I figured out how to recreate the recipe at home. I actually think mine tastes better, so there.