Ten things I don’t know ANYTHING about:
1. I have no idea how most mechanical things work. That we can twist a key and cars run is a fucking miracle every time.
2. I do not understand how insurance companies figure out their business.
3. I will never understand how a provision for a bridge (or guns, or any other completely unrelated thing) can be attached to a bill for water, or for food assistance.
4. Even though it’s been explained to me many times – and I think I mostly get it – the fact that we can hurl thousands of tons of metal into the air and have a reasonable expectation of its staying there (and coming down safely) is a wonder. In this, Mr. Weasley and I are one.
6. I will never understand traffic jams. I don’t feel so bad about this, though; I remember seeing a PBS special about a bunch of chaos mathematics PhDs trying to figure it out, and they couldn’t do it, either.
7. I do not understand addiction, or the impulse to self-harm. I have such great respect for the kind and learned people who counsel those who struggle with these things.
8. Along those same lines, I will never understand how people can actively work against their own interests, particularly in political matters, though I completely understand the motivations of those who convince them to do so.
9. I do not understand how more guns can possibly make us safer, or the perfectly ludicrous assertion that “an armed society is a polite society.” No, it isn’t; an armed society is a frightened society. I respect you because of our common humanity, not because I’m afraid you’ll hurt me if I don’t.
10. I really don’t understand electricity, or why we haven’t figured out how to move past fossil fuels yet (but I am oh so glad we don’t have flying cars….).
What stumps you?