It’s my brother, best friend, and anam cara’s birthday today. Here, then, are ten reasons why Marc rocks:
1. Do you have people in your life that you just like being with? You don’t have to be DOING anything. You don’t feel the need to entertain each other or to fill the silence with small talk; it’s enough just to be in the same room together doing whatever you’re doing (either with one another or separately). Marc is one of those people for me. Much of the time we’ve spent together has been with him on a chair and me on the couch, the game on the T.V., and piles of grading in our respective laps. I count that as serious quality time.
2. Marc is riotously funny. Seriously; he’s left me completely winded on more than one occasion. It’s the way he sees the ridiculous in things that gets to me (well, that, and his facility with the one-liner. “She has a HEAD?!”). Sadly, though, I’d have a hard time rendering his funny here; it’s often entirely situational and dependent on the fact that our ways of thinking are very similar.
3. My brother is a fantastic dad. I didn’t always think that he was going to be, to be honest with you; he proclaimed pretty loudly that he didn’t want kids, so when his wife got pregnant with Bub, my first nephew, I pretty much backed Marc against the wall and told him that if he EVER told this baby that he wasn’t wanted, I’d kill him myself. While Marc kind of staggered through his sons’ infant- and toddlerhoods (they adopted two-year-old Noodle when Bub was about 3), he’s MORE than made up for that now that the boys are teenagers. Seriously; I stand in awe of the kind of awesome that Marc demonstrates as a father to these boys.
4. Something I really love about Marc is his steadfastness. He’s the kind of man who presents himself exactly as he is; there’s no pretension or game-playing with him. This “what you see is what you get” quality feels safe and reliable to me, and even though there have been times when his persistence has annoyed the shit out of me, the fact that I’m never blindsided by him is something that I’ve come to really trust.
5. Marc doesn’t suffer fools gladly. I love it when he gets his teacher on and explains, calmly and with authority, that, no, you may not make shit up and present it as fact and no, it doesn’t matter how hard you tried; if you didn’t meet the standards, then you failed.
6. My brother makes beautiful things out of wood. He is the embodiment of a master craftsman; he learns everything he can about what he intends to do, he takes his time and cuts no corners, and he’s willing to keep at it until he gets it right. His standards are impossibly high, and he meets them consistently. I admire that about him.
7. He makes astonishingly yummy hot fudge. Maybe this should have been #1?
8. Marc is super-reliable. If he says he’s going to do something – if he says he’s going to be somewhere or provide something – he does it. I can call my brother at any time during the day or night and tell him that I need him, and I know that he’ll drop everything to come to my aid. I hope he knows that I will do the same for him.
9. He likes to play. For someone who can be so focused and intense, he also understands how important it is to kick back and have a good time. I love that about him.
10. For all the things I can enumerate, there is something that I can’t really put into words. Marc’s energy just resonates with mine, and it has from the moment we met. He is a soul-mate; of this I have no question.
Happy, happy birthday, beloved Brother. I cannot adequately express how happy I am to have you in my life.