Ten yoga moves that I do all the time:
1. Forward Fold. It’s a foundational pose in yoga; any class you go to, you’ll be asked to do a forward fold (probably a lot of them).
2. Downward dog. Ditto; this pose is pretty ubiquitous in every variety of yoga.
3. Seated twist. I usually do these with my knees stacked one on top of the other. I get a good back AND hip/butt stretch that way.
4. Planks. They’re not technically “yoga poses,” but the strength that they help to build is integral to being able to do a lot of other poses well.
5. Standing balances. Usually, I’ll teach tree (especially if there are new, never done yoga before people in the class), but I like dancer and warrior 3, as well.
6. Triangle. I love this pose.
7. Warriors. You never realize how difficult it is to stand still until you try to hold a good warrior for a while.
8. Standing straddle. I want to get much better at this pose than I am.
9. Crow. I love that I have mastered this pose. I’ve even gotten to the point where I can get from crow to headstand and back to crow; it makes me feel strong and balanced.
10. Corpse pose. Even though I rarely do it (as the instructor, I have to keep track of the time, and if I go into corpse, I’m not sure I could do that), I love it when I do it in other people’s classes.
all images here.