DAMN, but it’s been a long time since I’ve done one of these! Today, you get randomness:
1. The kittens – all six of them – are hanging out at the shelter awaiting their spay/neuter surgeries, their first rounds of vaccinations, and their ID chips. As a consequence, the house is very quiet.
2. Well, quiet, but not silent. We haven’t figured out yet if Miss Kes is doing all her talking because she’s looking for her kittens, or because she’s finally gotten comfortable enough here at Chez Chili to let her true self out. We don’t know
much anything about her origins, but a quick look at her reveals that there’s GOT to be a Siamese somewhere in her lineage, which could account for her vociferousness. We’ll see, when the kittens return, if she continues to be as vocal as she is.
3. In the absence of kittens, I’m doing a major house cleaning today. I’ve already done two loads of laundry, vacuumed and reset my bedroom, the upstairs bathroom, hallway, and loft. I’m going to tackle the great room and kitchen when I finish posting this, then give myself a break to watch the Sons of Anarchy episode I have on TiVo before hitting the family and dining rooms.
4. My composition students at both colleges turned in their compare/contrast essays yesterday. I haven’t looked at a single one yet, but I have a glimmer of optimism that, for first papers, they won’t be that bad; the classes seemed to embrace the work we did in terms of drafting, and I gave them plenty of time for workshops and revision.
5. I am taking the first of two barre trainings this weekend. It’s a four-day intensive thing, and I’m hoping to come out the other side with a skill I can market to both Local U and the health club. I’m not wild about teaching the strength classes I’ve been given at L.U. (I teach two strength classes and three yoga classes there) and I’m hoping that the barre certification will mean that I get paid at my yoga rate for whatever classes I lead. The health club doesn’t have a barre installed, but the rumor is that their thinking about adding one, so this certification might be timely.
6. Except that the timing sucks. The first day of training coincides with my town’s apple harvest festival, and I’m bummed that I’m going to miss that.
7. We went last weekend to a big fair in the state, though, and that was interesting. I have a post brewing that is inspired by all the hysterical “they’re coming for our guns” tee shirts that I saw people wearing all day on Sunday at this event, and I’ve been musing ever since about willful ignorance and the energy which people are willing to put to shoving proverbial fingers in their ears, scrunching their eyes up tight, and yelling “LA, LA, LA, I’M NOT LISTENING TO FACTS!!” at the top of their voices.
8. There is a strong possibility that I might have a part-time gig at a charter high school in January. I don’t want to jinx it, but from here, it’s looking pretty good. I’ll keep you posted.
9. It’s well and truly autumn here now. The leaves are lovely, the temperatures are cooling off significantly, and I’m starting to cook comfort foods again. Also on my to-do list today is to make the pot of spaghetti sauce Mr. Chili requested the other night. Marc is coming over tonight for a dinner of stuffed shells. Mmmm.
10. Did you know that it is REALLY hard to get a good picture of an all-black cat. I have a bunch of really great shots of Sisko and Jordi, but a picture that does justice to my pretty Nala continues to elude me. As of right now, this is the best picture of her that I have:
Happy Tuesday, Everyone!